BearcatNews Forums

Go Back   BearcatNews Forums > Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Football Discussion about the current Bearcat football team

Old 03-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
ucjay99

The additions of Boise State and San Diego State go a very long way IMO to restoring some of what would be lost with PItt, WVU and Cuse. If only TCU would have joined... then I would have been completely happy with the "New" Big East.

I see the power teams being... USF, UC, UL, Boise St. and San Diego St.. that isn't bad. I realize none of them have the brand name or the tradition of say a WVU but, in modern reality Boise St and San Diego St prove to be an equivalent if not better football program than the outgoing SU, WVU and Pitt programs. My 2 cents.
ucjay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
Binturong05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySean View Post
This is an awful league. It is not "East" (and, to be fair, Cincinnati, Chicago, Louisville, and Milwaukee hardly count as "East" either), it is not as strong in football, it still has Notre Shame in all sports outside of football, and it now has way too many basketball teams. This is being held together with thread and Elmer's to preserve football BCS status. Why do we have college athletes flying from New Jersey to San Diego, Boise, and Houston for league games???

The NCAA has been outflanked. They should have put an end to re-alignment the moment BC, Miami, and VT jumped Big East ship.

Rules?

1. No more than 12 conference members.
2. Must be within a similar geographic area -- to be defined
3. Historical affiliations can be honored (Northwestern should NOT be in the Big 10, but because they were a founding member, they can stay and continue to get their clocks cleaned by the likes of to$u, UM, Penn St., and even lowly Indiana)
4. NCAA controls football money rights to ensure equal/fair distribution (I know this, in particular, is HUGELY controversial, but let's face it -- this is all about the Benjamins)

But... the NCAA won't do this because they are spineless and weak.

I love my Bearcats. This league, however, is a sham. THIS LOOKS VERY SIMILAR TO THE CONFERENCE USA FOOTBALL CONFERENCE WE PLAYED IN!

Discuss...
Who is to say the consolidation of power in a few super conferences is not the end goal of the NCAA?
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.
Binturong05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
BostonBearcat

I was at Saturday's Elite 8 game (it was not as fun as I had hoped for on Thursday!) but I did get a chance to speak to several SU fans about switching to the ACC. By and large, not happy about it. They haven't yet seen the upside of ruining great rivalries with Nova, Georgetown, UConn and replacing them with Duke, UNC, etc. Have to tell you, even now having been here with BC being in the ACC for several years, even those rivalries seem forced...
BostonBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #24
Distinguished Member

The new Big East is garbage. I'm a college football fan, and I have 0 desire to watch the majority of those schools play games. You'd have to pay me to sit through a SMU / San Diego State game.

But, whatever -- there was really no alternative that I could see.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #25
juckerrules
Veteran

So, we're replacing the TCU game with Fordham? And charging more for tickets? Please, sir, may I have some more?
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #26
True Bearcat

My thoughts of the New BIG EAST.

1. It opens recruiting grounds in some of the hottest recruiting areas in the nation.

2. The Bearcats have a chance to dominate this conference in football and basketball for years to come.

3. It will bring attention to the University of Cincinnati in all time zones. UC will be visible in multiple news forms across the nation when they are playing, or winning the conference.

4. Rivalries will be not in existence for awhile. I hope they do not force them. UC Louisville will be big still. UCF USF will be huge, and hope to gain momentum. I would like to see SMU come back to dominance. I think the way they commanded the Dallas area before the death penalty would be huge if they started winning again, and were able to regain their old support.

All and all I think the conference will work for UC, and hopefully stay stable.
True Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote