Binturong05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyCornHusker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCats1994 View Post
Expectations for the coming season:
  • Fans purchase tickets to more games...Attendance needs to continue to rise
I'd be shocked if that does not happen. The fans are embracing Mick and his style of play. The players returning should all be fast and athletic. UC is going to be a fun team to watch next year.
I'll add that I expect the fanbase to pony up some cash and increase their contributions to the athletic department. I can't think of a university sports program that has done more with less than UC has done in the last five year. If we're ever going to get over the hump and compete with the big boys the fans must step up and put their money where their mouth is. I hear a lot of people complain about Cincinnati sports - this is not directed at anyone here specifically - but I don't see many people actively trying to do something about changing whatever it is that upsets them.

Particularly with respect to Mick et al I think we're seeing a good return on our dollar and we're getting good entertainment value from the basketball program. If they've ever shown they deserve our support the last couple seasons were it. Time for us to chip in a little extra and rally any other fans we may know as well.
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.
Binturong05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #22
DBSUC1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucjay99 View Post

Can anybody link a list of the incoming class? I realize Rubles just signed...who else?

Just watched some highlights of Obepka (sp?) and Devon Scott... impressed and hoping they become BEARCATS.
Rubles is the incoming class at the moment unless you count the 2 redshirts/ partial qualifiers Thomas and Ellis. One scholarship left for Obepka?
DBSUC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
ucfan34

I presume I'm way early on this, but when will the schedule for next year come out?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
OCASCM07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfan34 View Post
I presume I'm way early on this, but when will the schedule for next year come out?
If the past is any indicator it will come out anywhere from early September to the last day of August like it did last year. Typically it's the second or third week of September though.

"If you're the fan of a team then you should support that program no matter how you feel about who is coaching them. Because if I'm not doing my job I will be gone but the program will still be there." - Mick Cronin
OCASCM07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #25
ucfan34

Okay, I see. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 AM   #26
JohnFrancis
Distinguished Member

Don't know if I should have started a new thread for this....looks like we're #26 in this (way too early) 2012-2013 poll:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...moving-2012-13
JohnFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #27
Pruke
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFrancis View Post
Don't know if I should have started a new thread for this....looks like we're #26 in this (way too early) 2012-2013 poll:

I love it - once again, Mick can use the lack of respect to drive the effort.

Key to next year - fast start - no more losses to AA's
Pruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #28
DMoney1080

Expectations - Top 8 finish in the BE. The BE is getting better from the bottom up. There are very few bottom feeders anymore in this league. SF and RU are going to be trying to do what we did last year. I would expect a tourney appearance. The lose of Gates is huge from a rebounding perspective. Without him, we will get killed on the boards. If our guards shoot over 30% from 3 we will have a great year. We need SK and Cash to become more consistent from the 3. Ellis and Gaines are going to be guys like JJ - not Yancy, which is fine, but it's a huge weakness.

If we can find an inside presence and learn to run a fast break properly, we actually will be very good. This team reminds me a lot of the Nova teams that ran 4 guards and could be beat you inside and out.

The tourney is a given - how far, who knows - it comes down to who we draw. Any team in the tournament can be beaten. Show me the defense that we used for the 2nd half of the season and I'll take the results (W/L's).
DMoney1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #29
Binturong05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFrancis View Post

Seems Katz has a hard on for the Big Ten with 5 teams out of 12 ranked in the top-25 and four of them in the top 10. Although glad to see Indiana getting some love. If there's a team out there that I pull for other than UC it's the Hoosiers.

Interesting to see Sean Miller placing the Arizona Wildcats back in the national conversation. My understanding is he has done well in the recruiting department. Perhaps next season is when we see the fruits of his labor.

In closing, I wouldn't put too much credence in this list. Katz weighted this list based heavily on who is returning for which team (aka: who he saw on ESPN Sportscenter the last 5 months). Outside of Kansas and Kentucky it doesn't appear Katz has researched the incoming talent whether it be a bench player this past season or a freshman phenom that is fresh out of HS. I'd expect the rankings after the first month to look entirely different than this list looks now, not just in order but also in composition.
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.
Binturong05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
loshow22
Distinguished Member

Default ESPN's Medcalf Noteworthy NCAA performances...

Cincinnatiís Sean Kilpatrick, a 6-4 guard, scored just eight points in his teamís second-round win over Texas. But when the lights came on in the later rounds, Kilpatrick showed off his star power. He had 18 points against Florida State in the third round. And he finished with 15 against Ohio State in the Sweet 16.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation