BearcatNews Forums

Go Back   BearcatNews Forums > Basketball
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Basketball Discussion about the current Bearcat basketball team

Old 04-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
cpawstoney
Veteran

Default MVP for 2011-2012 Season

Paul Dehner discusses candidates for Bearcat Men's Basketball MVP for the past season (see link on front page). Who do you think should get the award?
cpawstoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
DimitriusChristedes
Distinguished Member

Cash wright.
DimitriusChristedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
DMoney1080

Parker or Gates. Parker - 1st because without him, we lost to Marshall/Presbyterian. With him, we were able to create match up problems and run a free flowing offense.

Gates - might be most improved. Hit his down and up all in the same year. He played his best towards the end and the BE Tourney.
DMoney1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
London 'Cat
Super Moderator

Wright - His AST/TO ratio was solid; set a UC record for steals in a season; and finished strong in so many games that the 'Cats may have lost if he had not stepped up.
London 'Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
OCASCM07

Hard to decide on someone so here are my arguments for my top 3.

Parker - Because as DMoney stated we lost without him but at the same time he was inconsistent with his production.

Gates - We won against great teams when he imposed his will but he was too inconsistent night in and night out with his effort.

Cash - Dude was money all year and statistically was one of the best PG's in the country in PG only stats. His inconsistency at times was mostly due to injury which he played through. And there is no doubt that when he was playing through the pain we weren't playing good as a team. Everytime he left the court you could see a huge dropoff of the play of everyone on the court. My money is with Cash (Pun intended).

"If you're the fan of a team then you should support that program no matter how you feel about who is coaching them. Because if I'm not doing my job I will be gone but the program will still be there." - Mick Cronin

Last edited by OCASCM07 : 04-04-2012 at 03:44 PM.
OCASCM07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
BasketBySteveLogan
Distinguished Member

How bout this? Luke Winn SI has his Top 32 for next year... and we aint even on it.

Good lord man, we could have won the whole thing and we probably would have been ranked 30th.

http://ncaa-tournament.si.com/2012/0...r_a1&eref=sihp

Gimme a break with teams 20-32 by the way. We would smoke all of those guys

Obviously Luke Winn has never heard of Shaquiiiiiiiille Thomas
Old 04-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
jplog
Distinguished Member

Wright. No doubt, it all starts with his minimal turnovers.
jplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Bearcatfan22

Most valuable = Cash

Most improved = Parker

Freshman of the Year = Guyn, played solid defense in spurts

Defensive Player of the Year = Gates, did a lot of unappreciated dirty work

Early Candidate for POY next year = Cash, we'll have a lot of depth next year but he seems to make the Cats go. Killa, could out up 17-18ppg and steal this one though

Early candidate for most improved next season = Jackson, improved jumpshot and some composure on offense could go a long way

Early candidate defensive player of the year for next season = Gaines, I think he makes strides, see more minutes, and leads team in blocks
Bearcatfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Binturong05
Veteran

I am pleased by the fact this is even debatable. It shows UC is truly a team. Look at other teams across the country that live and die by the performance of a single player. What would Xavier be without Tu? What would Ohio State be without Sullinger? I'm not saying anyone on the 2011-12 Bearcats starting lineup are a commodity that is easily replaceable but if one man went down (injury or suspension) you had other guys step up which displays to me at least that there was equality among the various talents with no one player clearly dominating his teammates from a talent perspective.
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.
Binturong05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
bearcatdoggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketBySteveLogan View Post
How bout this? Luke Winn SI has his Top 32 for next year... and we aint even on it.

Good lord man, we could have won the whole thing and we probably would have been ranked 30th.

Don't worry about it, waaaaaaaaaaayy to early to even think about it. Who cares what this guy thinks anyway. If anything it will give the Bearcats some added fire if they are not considered a good team. I remember one of the announcers saying during the Louisville / Michigan St. game the Mich St wasn't even ranked in the Top 25 to start the season.
bearcatdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Best Body
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketBySteveLogan View Post

In fairness, he probably has never heard of Shaq Thomas. It's not like he's a McDonalds All American or anything like that. Unless you are a Bearcat fan that frequents this site or a similar one, you've probably not heard of him.

Not sure what I honestly expect next year, but losing Gates and Dixon is pretty significant. With no post game expected, whatsoever, I can certainly see why someone would exclude the team from their preseason rankings. Still, I'd expect them to be among the best 32 teams. But we are obviously biased, here. I'd like to say that the rankings mean nothing, but maybe some ranking love would help recruiting - not sure about that (couldn't hurt).

Back to the thread: Gates was MVP. Double Double type player, and really the only force on the team inside the 3pt line.

Last edited by Best Body : 04-05-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Best Body is offline   Reply With Quote