BearcatNews Forums

Go Back   BearcatNews Forums > Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Football Discussion about the current Bearcat football team

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Thegreatone
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Default Looks like Winn is the starting RB

Many assumed Poteat would take over at RB this year but it looks like Wynn is poised to take over. It will be a RB by committee for sure but I am glad to see George get this spot. Tough, durable, and experienced.

I think I would like to see the playing time split up in this percentage:

Wynn: 45%
Poteat: 35%
Abernathy: 20%

Wynn gets featured role. Poteat gets good experience and is ready to take over in 13. Abernathy keeps the homerun threat alive.

George had a really nice year last season and could take a Iasiah Pead type of role.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
cmm27
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Wynn is not the type of player Pead is. He just does not have the get-away speed that Pead had to break any run into a touchdown at any time against anybody. Does that diminish Wynn? Not at all, there are few athletes that are like Pead. So I do not see Wynn having a "Pead type role" on the team, but more of a continuation of the role he played last year, only expanded to include more situations. I would not be surprised if Poteat plays his way to more carries and touches as the season progresses because he has all the natural talent in the world to be a top level running back.
__________________
In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.
cmm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
wall
Member
 
wall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Milford, OH
Default

I don't recall any of the three catching balls out of the backfield. To me the one that excels at receiving will be the most valuable.
__________________
Don't worry about what you can't control......
wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Dannyboy
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Default

Wynn will be just fine. He's different, not better or worse. With Munchie's running ability and Luallen as the X factor, we can throw a lot at a defense.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
DimitriusChristedes
Distinguished Member
 
DimitriusChristedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
Wynn will be just fine. He's different, not better or worse. With Munchie's running ability and Luallen as the X factor, we can throw a lot at a defense.
I'm pretty sure he will be worse than Pead. But that's hardly an indictment. Pead may be the best back UC ever produced.

I'm hoping that Poteat can show this year why he was so hotly recruited out of HS. By his Sophomore campaign, Pead had already shown flashes of what he would become. For the sake of the team I hope that I'll be calling Isaiah the second best UC back ever in a couple years time.
DimitriusChristedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Ruckle
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Default

From the little bit I saw Winn play the last couple of years he seemed more like the type of back that would try to run a guy over. Wheras, Pead was an ankle breaker. Strangely enough, Pead and Winn are nearly identical in size, so my impression of Winn may be entirely incorrect.

FYI, I believe it is Winn not Wynn
Ruckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
bearcat25
Distinguished Member
 
bearcat25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Default

Winn is a north-south runner. I recall a number of his carries where he get's extra yards simply running over guys. He will be good, but not great. The problem is that all three running backs we currently have are different style RB's. Something defenses can key on (Winn north-south, RDA is elusive, Poteat a little of both but inexperienced). I'm hoping the combo will work, but that will be on Munchie to execute other type plays when defense is keying on a downhill run (Winn), etc.

My prediction this year is 8-4 and Belk Bowl in my hometown of Charlotte, NC.
bearcat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
BearCatMarcher
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat25 View Post
Winn is a north-south runner. I recall a number of his carries where he get's extra yards simply running over guys. He will be good, but not great. The problem is that all three running backs we currently have are different style RB's. Something defenses can key on (Winn north-south, RDA is elusive, Poteat a little of both but inexperienced). I'm hoping the combo will work, but that will be on Munchie to execute other type plays when defense is keying on a downhill run (Winn), etc.

My prediction this year is 8-4 and Belk Bowl in my hometown of Charlotte, NC.
Plays with both in at once is where you give them fits.
BearCatMarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Barklee
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm27 View Post
Wynn is not the type of player Pead is. He just does not have the get-away speed that Pead had to break any run into a touchdown at any time against anybody. Does that diminish Wynn? Not at all, there are few athletes that are like Pead. So I do not see Wynn having a "Pead type role" on the team, but more of a continuation of the role he played last year, only expanded to include more situations. I would not be surprised if Poteat plays his way to more carries and touches as the season progresses because he has all the natural talent in the world to be a top level running back.
I thought Winn looked pretty fast in his 69 yard TD run against Vanderbilt in the Liberty Bowl.
Barklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
cmm27
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

I thought Vanderbilt just looked really slow. But again, I am not taking anything away from Winn (I'll go with that spelling from now on until I see his jersey). But you cannot say he was faster than Pead, or had better break away speed than Pead. When you put Pead in the open field you automatically assumed a touchdown, when you saw a hole open up in front of Pead you assumed touchdown. Pead did that against the Oklahomas and Tennessees of the world. In the Sugar Bowl against Florida he was the only player on UCs roster that actually looked like he would be a starter on Florida. They are two totally different caliber of players. That is not saying Winn is horrible, it is merely saying that Pead was that awesome.
__________________
In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.
cmm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
cincycpaw
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barklee View Post
I thought Winn looked pretty fast in his 69 yard TD run against Vanderbilt in the Liberty Bowl.
Yeah, it was a nice run, but I thought it was a slow motion replay in real life. Maybe I was just really excited about it, but "fast" never entered my mind.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
ME80
Veteran
 
ME80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm27 View Post
I thought Vanderbilt just looked really slow. But again, I am not taking anything away from Winn (I'll go with that spelling from now on until I see his jersey). But you cannot say he was faster than Pead, or had better break away speed than Pead. When you put Pead in the open field you automatically assumed a touchdown, when you saw a hole open up in front of Pead you assumed touchdown. Pead did that against the Oklahomas and Tennessees of the world. In the Sugar Bowl against Florida he was the only player on UCs roster that actually looked like he would be a starter on Florida. They are two totally different caliber of players. That is not saying Winn is horrible, it is merely saying that Pead was that awesome.
Interesting take. It's strange that before the Liberty Bowl all I heard is that UC had not faced this type of speed all year playing the Big East.
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
cmm27
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

I doubt you heard that from me, but I understand what you are saying. Actually seeing Vanderbilt in person, and being able to compare them on the field with Cincinnati it was obvious to me that Cincinnati was bigger, stronger and faster than Vanderbilt. I would argue that Tennessee, when healthy, was significantly better than Vanderbilt. As far as speed in the Big East it seems to me that USF, Louisville and West Viriginia all had greater or equal speed to Vanderbilt.

On a related note, the Liberty Bowl was the first time in this era of UC Football where I have watched them play a team from a BCS AQ conference, and especially the vaunted SEC, and it seemed that UC's players were every bit the equal or better. (Now that I am thinking about it in more detail I am corrected- Oregon State and Illinois come to mind as well.) So I would argue that Vanderbilt was not ready for the size and speed that UC had, and I think that size has only improved going into this year along with the overall speed on the team. I hope that makes some sort of sense.
__________________
In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.
cmm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© BearcatNews 2007