BearcatNews Forums

Go Back   BearcatNews Forums > Basketball Recruiting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Basketball Recruiting Discuss basketball recruiting.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #141
bearcats5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindog202 View Post
I highly doubt they come after Obekpa. They have Noel, Willie Cauley - a top 40 player and are in on Anthony Bennett. Plus they have Wiltger coming back. I think they are pretty set at the PF/C position
I agree. Was hoping for Noel to choose UK, not just because it would keep him out of the Big East, but because they would get their main PF/C target. They were apparently interested, to some degree, in Obekpa earlier this year (him or his coach mentioned them in a few interviews as interested, but no offer), so I didn't want to see them coming back into the picture if they missed out on both Noel and Bennett.
bearcats5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #142
BasketBySteveLogan
Distinguished Member

Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports) tweets that UC is still the front-runner.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #143
MilfordCat92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketBySteveLogan View Post
Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports) tweets that UC is still the front-runner.
Hope it remains that way after his Oregon visit.
MilfordCat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #144
GoBearcats31
Veteran

AAU season started tonight, here are some relevant tweets

RT @DaveTelep: We've got a Chris Obekpa sighting with New Heights. Must be trying to break AAU shot block record.

RT @ebosshoops New Heights is spanking the Louisville Magic right now. Mick Cronin on hand watching Obekpa...
GoBearcats31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #145
OCASCM07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
AAU season started tonight, here are some relevant tweets

RT @DaveTelep: We've got a Chris Obekpa sighting with New Heights. Must be trying to break AAU shot block record.

RT @ebosshoops New Heights is spanking the Louisville Magic right now. Mick Cronin on hand watching Obekpa...
Hopefully Mick was the only potential head coach there last night. Shows how much he values having Obekpa sign here.

"If you're the fan of a team then you should support that program no matter how you feel about who is coaching them. Because if I'm not doing my job I will be gone but the program will still be there." - Mick Cronin
OCASCM07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #146
coach
Veteran

For those who criticize cronin's recruiting, i do not think you can question his tenacity. The good thing for us/uc, is that obekpa probably visited for the best crowd we had at the shoe this year for louisville.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #147
weez1414
Distinguished Member

Deciding on May 5th per rivals after Oregon visit. They have only Cincy and the
Johnnies listed as schools now. I think hes UC's definately. I think he's going to Oregon for a vacation and to see Niketown. (just my guess). But he will win more and play more for UC. Cmo Chris just sign now!
weez1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #148
Kindog202
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez1414 View Post
Deciding on May 5th per rivals after Oregon visit. They have only Cincy and the
Johnnies listed as schools now. I think hes UC's definately. I think he's going to Oregon for a vacation and to see Niketown. (just my guess). But he will win more and play more for UC. Cmo Chris just sign now!
I heard May 7th in honor of his mother's birthday. Either way, it sounds like this saga will finally reach its end in a couple of weeks. Fingers are crossed and feel pretty good right now on how it will end.
Kindog202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #149
Rock
Banned

Default I don't

I don't feel good--taking way too long for me to feel good--recruiting is a heck of a way to make a living--go get 'em Mick!
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #150
weez1414
Distinguished Member

Theres just no way he picks Oregon the whole league sucks. Wow the owner of Nike went there. The Big O went here and I'm pretty sure he would beat Phil Knight 1 on 1. He will get more Wins and better himself with competition in the BEAST. I also can't see St. Johns either with the way things are going there.
weez1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #151
Kindog202
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I don't feel good--taking way too long for me to feel good--recruiting is a heck of a way to make a living--go get 'em Mick!
Key point to consider - We are an Addidas school and he is at a Nike (high)school right now. The main competition with us for his services are all Nike schools. This weekend he played in Vegas on the New Heights AAU team which is sponsored by Addidas and Mick was the only head coach there to watch because Obekpa made a "last" minute decision to play for the Addidas AAU team. How did Mick get this info in time to go see him when other coaches did not? and Why did he switch to play for an Addidas team now?
He could ultimately decide against coming here but there are a lot more signs out there right now that point towards him becoming a Bearcat than not...
Kindog202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #152
GoBearcats31
Veteran

Chad Brendel: Chris Obekpa will not visit Oregon as originally planned tomorrow. The Ducks are no longer in the running.

PF Orlando Sanchez just committed to Saint John's, per a number of people. Last year UC took Cheikh and then God's Gift landed at SJU. I'd have to imagine this couldn't hurt UC, seeing that Obekpa has been a big Red Storm target and they got Sanchez (UC has also recruited Sanchez a bit, for what it's worth).

Last edited by GoBearcats31 : 04-22-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #153
London 'Cat
Super Moderator

Quote:
Chad Brendel: Chris Obekpa will not visit Oregon as originally planned tomorrow. The Ducks are no longer in the running.
That's encouraging. Now UC has one less suitor to fend off. I hope no other school is getitng involved late. Let's hope he has decided UC is the place for him.
London 'Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #154
GoBearcats31
Veteran

Adam Zagoria: I'm told Chris Obekpa is rescheduling his visit to Oregon, but is not cancelling it.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #155
MilfordCat92

Quote:
Adam Zagoria: I'm told Chris Obekpa is rescheduling his visit to Oregon, but is not cancelling it.
And just when I was starting to feel better about him becoming a cat. Still gotta feeling we are in the lead though.
MilfordCat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #156
BasketBySteveLogan
Distinguished Member

Here's some stuff from CBS's Jon Rothstein that my buddy Jeff sent me:

Some guy that covers hoops for CBS named John Rothstein seems to be big on UC basketball in general – he was hyping Mick as a Coach of the Year candidate, hyping UC as an underrated team all year, hyping UC as an underrated team for 2012-13. So I don’t know if he is originally from Cincy or something..but he generally has a high regard for UC and Cronin. Some guy on Twitter asked him this weekend, “is Obekpa a lock for Cincy?” and he replied, “All signs pointing that way”……but like I said, no verbal, no written so I’ll believe it when I see it.

Here’s something from “The Rothstein Files” written April 11:

- Look for Mick Cronin and Cincinnati to get back to playing 10-11 guys next year in their rotation. Despite reaching the Sweet 16 during the past season, Cronin shortened his rotation and never was able to press the way he did two years ago or when he coached at Murray State. Look for next year’s squad to feature more depth highlighted by two players who red shirted this past season in forwards Shaquille Thomas and Octavious Ellis.
- We’re hearing that Cincinnati has emerged as the favorite for Our Savior New American big man Chris Obekpa. The 6-foot-9 shot blocking machine is also considering St. John’s and Oregon. Many scouts have compared Obekpa to NBA star Tyrus Thomas. The 2012 center would likely start immediately for the Bearcats next season in place of the graduated Yancy Gates.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #157
Levittation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketBySteveLogan View Post
Here's some stuff from CBS's Jon Rothstein that my buddy Jeff sent me:

Some guy that covers hoops for CBS named John Rothstein seems to be big on UC basketball in general – he was hyping Mick as a Coach of the Year candidate, hyping UC as an underrated team all year, hyping UC as an underrated team for 2012-13. So I don’t know if he is originally from Cincy or something..but he generally has a high regard for UC and Cronin. Some guy on Twitter asked him this weekend, “is Obekpa a lock for Cincy?” and he replied, “All signs pointing that way”……but like I said, no verbal, no written so I’ll believe it when I see it.[/i]
FWIW I started following Josh Rothstein on twitter a little while back because I saw a few different re-tweets of his love for UC. After following him, I get the sense he is just an all around positive guy it what he reports and seems to have no biases towards one conference or another. He pumps out a lot of info on teams across the country. Good insight on recruiting too. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it seem like he loves a lot of teams and that 50 teams will be awesome next year and will all compete for a National Championship. Sort of like the anti-Doug Gottlieb,
Levittation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #158
BasketBySteveLogan
Distinguished Member

Cincinnati
The Bearcats would like to add at least one more player to their 2012 class, and if Mick Cronin's actions are any indication, that player could be Christopher Obekpa. Cronin attended every game the 6-foot-9 big man played in Las Vegas over the weekend. Out of Centereach, N.Y., Obekpa seems to be down to Cincinnati and St. John's.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1tB404Pcu
Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #159
GoBearcats31
Veteran

Just decide already, man....

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/04/29/o...-oregon-visit/
Old 04-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #160
bearcatdoggie

Quote:
Seriously, make up your mind! I wish we had another recruit that was similar but rated somewhat lower, I would go ahead and offer that guy the scholarship. The longer this goes on the more concerned I am about the player being committed to the team, and staying beyond year one. I know it's a tough decision, I get it, but at somepoint you have to go one way or the other.
bearcatdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote