Go Back   BearcatNews Forums > Basketball
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Basketball Discussion about the current Bearcat basketball team

Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
CroninCrazy
Veteran

Default Sweet 16 Start Time

9:45 CBS Thursday vs t0$u

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC
CroninCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Alpha5

These late starts are killing me.

Oh well, GO CATS!
Alpha5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
BearCatMarcher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha5 View Post

Oh well, GO CATS!
Team seems to respond well.
BearCatMarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Binturong05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha5 View Post

Oh well, GO CATS!
Doesn't bother me. I'm the only Bearcats fan at work among a bunch of Buckeye fans. All of them including my boss will be up late so if I roll in late I won't be the only one on Friday.

I am dreading the thought of listening to the beligerent Buckeye fans all week at work.

I hope to God the Bearcats win so I don't have to listen to it after Thursday.
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.
Binturong05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
jkwuc89
BearcatNews Administrator

Default Ohio State NCAA Sweet 16 Pregame / Prediction Thread

I almost can't believe I just typed the subject line. WOW! What an incredible ride so far. Bring on the Buckeyes!
jkwuc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
Binturong05
Veteran

Before it slips my mind: The matchup with osu will be contingent on how closely the refs call the game. If they want to interject themselves and make officiating a factor in the game the advantage swings to the Buckeyes since UC is so aggressive on defense at swatting the ball. Osu is a good FT shooting team so a closely called game where the refs nitpick every little hand swat will send the Buckeyes to the line which the Bearcats cannot afford to do. Also UC's starting line can't afford to get into foul trouble either. The drop off in talent in the next few guys in is too large.

On the other hand, if the refs let 'em play and call a loose game which allows UC to play stingy defense the Bearcats can beat Ohio State.

We shall see.

PS: as if we needed any additional motivation for this game as a fanbase, how good does it feel that the Bearcats could wreck the Presidents bracket?
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
catsfan32
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binturong05 View Post
Before it slips my mind: The matchup with osu will be contingent on how closely the refs call the game. If they want to interject themselves and make officiating a factor in the game the advantage swings to the Buckeyes since UC is so aggressive on defense at swatting the ball. Osu is a good FT shooting team so a closely called game where the refs nitpick every little hand swat will send the Buckeyes to the line which the Bearcats cannot afford to do. Also UC's starting line can't afford to get into foul trouble either. The drop off in talent in the next few guys in is too large.

On the other hand, if the refs let 'em play and call a loose game which allows UC to play stingy defense the Bearcats can beat Ohio State.

We shall see.

PS: as if we needed any additional motivation for this game as a fanbase, how good does it feel that the Bearcats could wreck the Presidents bracket?
I second this statement ten fold. I hope Mick shows the tape of when OSU had to play us at our lowest point as a program 5 years ago to get the boys pumped for these pompous a$$holes!

Mardy Gilyard for Mayor!
catsfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
ou_bearcat
Distinguished Member

Gates vs sullinger could be good
Old 03-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
Helicopter
Veteran

Egad. I went to one of there message board briefly and, my word talk about lowest common denominator. Not a single intelligent post. It was baffling. It made the comment section on ESPN look like high prose. it was just racial slurs and exclamation marks.

If this board looked like that (about ANY team) I would not post here.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
Binturong05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Egad. I went to one of there message board briefly and, my word talk about lowest common denominator. Not a single intelligent post. It was baffling. It made the comment section on ESPN look like high prose. it was just racial slurs and exclamation marks.

If this board looked like that (about ANY team) I would not post here.
Let me tell you as someone who walks among these belligerent drunks on a daily basis, what you see on the message boards is not an exaggeration. If you so much as openly critique the Buckeyes it about comes to fisticuffs in this town. At a minimum you'll suffer a deluge of ad hominem attacks and not a word about the merit of your argument. After all, their idol is a coach who punched an opposing player and many of them are proud of it.

I mean c'mon, I love my Bearcats but there are other things in life more important than a sports team. In Columbus they are maniacal over the Buckeyes.

Last edited by Binturong05 : 03-19-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
'nati streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binturong05 View Post
Before it slips my mind: [...] Osu is a good FT shooting team so a closely called game where the refs nitpick every little hand swat will send the Buckeyes to the line which the Bearcats cannot afford to do. Also UC's starting line can't afford to get into foul trouble either. The drop off in talent in the next few guys in is too large.
I actually felt comfortable with the rotation of Jaquon, Sanders, Mbodj, Killa, and Dixon, it only happened for about 2 minutes in the first half against FSU and then Dix came out for Cash (for another 2-3 before a full switch) but in all that rotation held their own.
I think that getting Guyn and Sanders in the games has been great and can only help with getting them more involved this Thursday.

I am interested in the game plan but even if we get a few quick fouls I think that a quick interim lineup is coming together at just the right time, and can be inserted... not to turn the tide but to hold at least.
'nati streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #12
BearCatMarcher
Veteran

Maybe, just maybe, beating OSU will get us off the bubble. One can hope right?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
BearCatMarcher
Veteran

From the ESPN rapid reaction.

"What’s next: Cincinnati (26-10) will advance to the Sweet 16 to face second-seeded Ohio State on Thursday night in Boston. It's one of those matchups that you wouldn't see during the regular season. Ohio State hasn't been willing to play Cincinnati on a regular basis and has typically wanted to play only if the game were in Columbus."

Wow. Just simply wow. ESPN calling OSU out for us, that is a shocker.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #14
Binturong05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCatMarcher View Post
From the ESPN rapid reaction.

"What’s next: Cincinnati (26-10) will advance to the Sweet 16 to face second-seeded Ohio State on Thursday night in Boston. It's one of those matchups that you wouldn't see during the regular season. Ohio State hasn't been willing to play Cincinnati on a regular basis and has typically wanted to play only if the game were in Columbus."

Wow. Just simply wow. ESPN calling OSU out for us, that is a shocker.
Link please. I need to print that off and frame it.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #15
BearCatMarcher
Veteran

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...nati-62-fsu-56

Headlines can't miss it

Anyhow, OSU is property of UC in NCAA tourney.
There is a media sensation going to brew up this week. That line was just the start of it. The media is and has always been hungry for OSU vs UC, and this is shark week.

Last edited by BearCatMarcher : 03-19-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #16
Binturong05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCatMarcher View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...nati-62-fsu-56

Headlines can't miss it

Anyhow, OSU is property of UC in NCAA tourney.
There is a media sensation going to brew up this week. That line was just the start of it. The media is and has always been hungry for OSU vs UC, and this is shark week.
Thanks. Printed it to PDF. Going to save that one for a while.

By the way, there's a host of smack talk going on in the posts below the article. My word is this going to get ugly. I should probably take the University of Cincinnati Alumni license plate bracket off my car this week unless I want to find my car with four slashed tires after work.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
bearcatbmr

I am so excited for this matchup! I love both UC and Ohio St and when the pairings came out was hoping that they could both get through the first two rounds! That being said I will be cheering for the Bearcats to beat the Buckeyes on Thursday but I will have a team in the Elite 8 no matter what.

That being said I fully expected the OSU hatred to be out in full force on this board tonight and this week. Went to Bucknuts and the only post referring to UC was how excited they were that all 4 Ohio teams are in the Sweet 16. I suspect most Buckeye fans were sleeping so I am sure there will be some talk on there tomorrow. I guess I just dont understand the hatred between the schools? We don't talk about how much we hate UK, and they do the same thing.... they refuse to play UC because "they dont have enough room on their schedule".

I really think this is a matchup nightmare for the Buckeyes, as they to only have one main big man. Sullinger though likes to shoot outside, same with Thomas, so I am expecting them to move Yancy out of the paint and have Craft drive the lane. Sullinger is not really a good defender and Gates holds a thickness advantage, so he might be able to push him around inside. However, UC will need to double up Sully inside since he is incredible at creating his own shots. Cincy has the clear advantage on the perimeter though, Cash can compete with Craft's quickness, SK is better than Buford IMO, Dion and Parker should be the two driving the lane since Craft has the ability to shut down Cash. I think if UC makes this a perimeter game, they will win... OSU lacks a pure shooter without Diebler this year. Buford has his games but quite frankly he just isn't all that good. I really feel UC has a great chance to pull this one off.

Let's Go Cats!
bearcatbmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #18
Distinguished Member

It's like Christmas, New Year and the 4th of July all rolled into one -- UC can advance to the Elite Eight and ruin the season for the College of Columbus and their supremely annoying fanbase.

Sign me up for that.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #19
bcbearcat12
Distinguished Member

Yancy has sounded so mature and confident in his interviews over the past few weeks.
bcbearcat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #20
BearCatMarcher
Veteran

They aren't "THE" University of Kentucky, now, are they.