BearcatNews Forums

Go Back   BearcatNews Forums > Basketball
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Basketball Discussion about the current Bearcat basketball team

Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
GoBearcats31
Veteran

Default Stubblefield could take Oregon position

From former national hoops writer and current Oregon sports personality Justin Young:

"Hearing from multiple people that Tony Stubblefield of Cincinnati could be the final asst. coach hired for Oregon hoops."

http://twitter.com/JustinDYoung
GoBearcats31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
CincyEngGrad02
Veteran

I figured this would happen. Coaches are seeing what a great job coach Cronin has done and now want to steal his coaches. Its tough for Cronin but its the price you pay for being a good coach. I'm confident he'll find a suitable replacement.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.
CincyEngGrad02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
milfordcats
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
I figured this would happen. Coaches are seeing what a great job coach Cronin has done and now want to steal his coaches. Its tough for Cronin but its the price you pay for being a good coach. I'm confident he'll find a suitable replacement.
Do we really have to do this in every basketball thread?
milfordcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
Pruke
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
From former national hoops writer and current Oregon sports personality Justin Young:

"Hearing from multiple people that Tony Stubblefield of Cincinnati could be the final asst. coach hired for Oregon hoops."

http://twitter.com/JustinDYoung
Not surprising - Tony's been here a while and if he feels like the program is heading the wrong way, why not get out before it's too late.

That being said, he was a good recruiter and if he leaves, we'll miss him.
Pruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Mr. Bearcat
Banned

There have been a lot of complaints about the assistant coaches on this team. Maybe this will infuse some new blood in the program and make a positive impact on the team. Nothing against Tony, but if we're not changing the head coach, then this might be the next best thing.
Mr. Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
BearcatRob33
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
LOL....I got a nice chuckle out of that. Well played.....*golf clap*
BearcatRob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:05 AM   #7
Cliftnote

From a Bearcatnews fan, all I ever see is a lot of Mick bashing, but with zero actual evidence (according to my standards). In four years, he has taken a program destroyed more than any other - aside from probation - and brought it to relative respectability.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Mr. Bearcat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftnote View Post
From a Bearcatnews fan, all I ever see is a lot of Mick bashing, but with zero actual evidence (according to my standards). In four years, he has taken a program destroyed more than any other - aside from probation - and brought it to relative respectability.
The bottom half of the Big East, zero NCAAs, and one NIT is not exactly respectability. I don't see many "experts" gushing over our program. The "Shoe" is half full. The students don't show up. The people who do show up don't cheer. Is that really respectable? Far from it in my opinion. And by the way, no postseason, mediocre to poor results, late season collapses, no player development, fans leaving the program, not even in the top 5 in our own state, no student interest, etc is all "actual evidence".

Last edited by Mr. Bearcat : 06-23-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
cmm27
Veteran

Certain people will never accept a reality they do not want to see. The excuse that Cincinnati was left empty and gutted and destroyed or whatever other descriptor you want was valid years ago. This is going to be year five of Cronin and sixth full season since Huggins was last a Bearcat coach. That excuse was rarely invoked last season, and yet here it is brought up again. It is no longer a valid argument. Last season was supposed to be the "first" real season by many accounts on how we can judge Cronin. As a Cincinnati fan I judged last season as a failure especially compared to previous levels this program had been at. There is a reason Cronin is bashed, and Cronin has the ability to change that by simply winning a lot more games and maybe getting a decent PR director.

With all of that said, none of that has much bearing on the actual thread. If the position at Oregon is viewed as a step up for Stubblefield then I say rock on. I hope he gets the position and I hope he excels in it.
cmm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Pruke
Distinguished Member

While not on topic, Cronin should be given some credit for lifting the program backup. He just needs to take it to the next level. He'll have to prove he's the guy who can do that.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
GoBearcats31
Veteran

goodmanonfox: Sources told FOXSports.com that Oregon's Dana Altman is expected to hire Cincinnati assistant Tony Stubblefield to fill out his staff.
GoBearcats31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Mr. Bearcat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruke View Post
While not on topic, Cronin should be given some credit for lifting the program backup. He just needs to take it to the next level. He'll have to prove he's the guy who can do that.
If you leave a guy as coach long enough, he'll eventually have a good season. Will one good season validate him as our long term coach?

It would have been virtually impossible to not lift our program back up from where it started with him. After all, we did have a pretty long stretch of being one of the top 10 programs in the nation leading up to his hire. He was just handed a thin roster, but all the other positives (and a few negatives) were solidly in place before he got here and he didn't have to rebuild any of those. He just had to refurbish the roster, which was suppoed to be his strength. We're four years down the road now and I really can't get too excited about what he has accomplished. Yes, the record has gotten better, but a lot of other things about this program have gotten worse under him.

How long do we wait to see if he finally has what it takes? There is one huge positive that we can give him credit for though. Many great seat locations that used to be non-existant, have now opened up!

As far as Stubblefield is concerned, does losing any of the current coaches really make anyone sad? Until we have some consistent success, I don't think anyone is going to get too upset over asst. coaches leaving. I just hope he doesn't replace him with a former high school coach this time.

Last edited by Mr. Bearcat : 06-24-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Who Dey Time
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bearcat View Post
If you leave a guy as coach long enough, he'll eventually have a good season. Will one good season validate him as our long term coach?
I think there are some DePaul and Rutgers fans that will tend to disagree with you here.
Who Dey Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
ucat4
Veteran

Mr. Bearcat, your comments are spot on as far as I'm concerned......of course this is only my personal opinion (had to put the disclaimer)
ucat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
bearcatbret
Veteran

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-up-Oregon-job

“I think we got the talent level back to where it needs to be. That was one of the hardest parts of me leaving, knowing they had a chance to go to the NCAA tournament.”
bearcatbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #16
Pruke
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bearcat View Post

It would have been virtually impossible to not lift our program back up from where it started with him. After all, we did have a pretty long stretch of being one of the top 10 programs in the nation leading up to his hire. He was just handed a thin roster, but all the other positives (and a few negatives) were solidly in place before he got here and he didn't have to rebuild any of those. He just had to refurbish the roster, which was suppoed to be his strength. We're four years down the road now and I really can't get too excited about what he has accomplished. Yes, the record has gotten better, but a lot of other things about this program have gotten worse under him.

How long do we wait to see if he finally has what it takes? There is one huge positive that we can give him credit for though. Many great seat locations that used to be non-existant, have now opened up!

As far as Stubblefield is concerned, does losing any of the current coaches really make anyone sad? Until we have some consistent success, I don't think anyone is going to get too upset over asst. coaches leaving. I just hope he doesn't replace him with a former high school coach this time.
If you consider one good season the next level - I guess so. I don't. I hold the Huggins experience as the barometer and hope we can even move past that.

I also think there are other coaches who would not have been successful in bringing our program back up - not sure why you think it's so easy.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
Bearcat_DF
Veteran

“When he told me what was on the table and I knew they wanted him bad, I tried to get him as much money as I could (from UC), but it wasn’t going to be enough,” Cronin said. “He was offered something that was head coach money. There was no way he could turn the job down. It would have been financial suicide.”

You mean an assistant coach would actually talk to his head coach before taking another job (and not leave under the cover of dark?)? Shocking!

df
Bearcat_DF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
Antonio
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_DF View Post
“When he told me what was on the table and I knew they wanted him bad, I tried to get him as much money as I could (from UC), but it wasn’t going to be enough,” Cronin said. “He was offered something that was head coach money. There was no way he could turn the job down. It would have been financial suicide.”
I'm not here to say Stubblefield was the be all, end all, of asst coaches, or that we should've broken the bank to keep him, but isn't the statistic that we're 13th of 16th in terms of hoops budgets in the Big East?

I'm not flame baiting here, I'm just honestly wondering if UC Hoops is always going to be stuck in this mode of losing assistants, middling finishes and on and on unless UC spends more respectably. Unfortunately, until UC wins, I can't see justifying more spending. A vicious cycle; like trying to start a successful business and being under capitalized.